Zarpara Vineyard is an Arizona Farm Winery. We self-distribute our wines within the state of Arizona. Please give us a call if you would like to offer Zarpara wines in your establishment.
Tasting Room / Sales: 520.222.7114
Winery / Vineyard: 602.885.8903
6777 S. Zarpara Ln.
Willcox, AZ 85643
Zar•pa•ra: español. NAUT. weigh anchor, set sail
In 2009, we embarked on this journey. With the nest empty and the daily commute grinding, we were ready to launch ourselves into a new adventure. Why not combine our love of wine and the outdoors? We could plant a vineyard where we could spend every day together and create a destination for sharing our wine.
We pointed our ship to Cochise County. This is the sky island country of southeastern Arizona, where broad valleys separate high mountains. In this part of Arizona, grape vines thrive in the sun and soil of the high desert. During the growing season, the cycles of warm, sunny days and cool nights infuse the grapes with flavor. The wines from this area burst with sun-splashed fruit and an abundance of fertile earth.
Starting with bare land, we marked out rows, put up trellis, and planted our first vines in 2010. There are now over 5,000 vines in the ground, and we take care of each and every one - from pruning, training, and thinning to hand-harvesting. We touch every vine multiple times during the growing season to ensure high quality grapes and premium, hand-crafted wine.
In 2011, we broke ground on the winery and tasting room. The building also has a studio apartment in one corner, and the tasting room doubles as our living room and kitchen. When construction was completed, we moved out of our cozy Rolling Love Machine (the camper) and into the new spacious accommodations. We opened the tasting room January, 2012.
Come pour a glass of wine and join us on this voyage. Welcome aboard!
Rhona MacMillan and Mark Jorve
Owners – Zarpara Vineyard
Tilly joined the crew as a "walk on" on July 14, 2012. July 14 is Bastille Day so we aptly named her Tilly. We don't know where she came from, but we're sure happy to have her here. She earns her keep as the tasting room greeter by day. At night, she is transformed into an avid skunker, and it's taken only a handful of skunks for her to get a bunch smarter about that profession!
The vineyard is tucked under the Dos Cabezas Mountains in Cochise County in southeastern Arizona, in an area called the Willcox Bench.
What is the Willcox Bench? It is a name given to an area south of Willcox that is ideal for growing grapevines. At 4,200 feet, the elevation makes for warm days and cool nights over the growing season. The soil is mostly sandy loam and rocky and has a slight slope. There are currently fifteen vineyards on the Willcox Bench. Grapes from this area are known for producing world-class, award-winning Arizona wines!
We have 7 grape varieties in our vineyard:
- Tempranillo The dominant grape in Rioja, Spain's most famous wine. We produce varietal Tempranillo wines, and also blend this grape with our Graciano, Monastrell, and Syrah.
- Graciano Lots of Spanish personality, usually a blender in Spanish Rioja. Our inaugural estate Graciano wine is aging in the cellar - stay tuned!
- Syrah Produces a medium to full-bodied, often peppery, red wine. We make a varietal Syrah and also blend this grape with our Tempranillo to make our famous Odisea.
- Sangiovese The base grape in Italian Chianti. On its own, a pleasant, red-to-dark-berry, medium-body red. Our Sangiovese is true to its origins and is the perfect accompaniment to pasta and pizza.
- Monastrell (also called Mourvedre). Makes a medium-bodied, rustic, musky wine with pleasant tannins, great on its own or as a versatile blender. We also make a lovely, dry rosé from this grape.
- Sauvignon Blanc Makes a crisp, clean, white wine. Our sunny Arizona version leads with aromas of pear and citrus, and adds subtle notes of green apple and herbs on the palate.
- Viognier Produces a rich, lucious, fragrant, white wine. A wine we discovered in a pub in Scotland (of all places) and it never fails to bring us back to that enchanting time and place.